Are you in need of food assistance?
To access a hamper, please call our office number at 780-449-6413. We are open Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, except for statutory holidays. Please be patient as our phone can be busy due to high demand. We do not accommodate e-mail requests or return phone or text message requests.
What we can offer
We try to provide a nutritious food supply that follows the Canada Food Guide for about 3 to 5 days in each of our hamper orders. We are not your regular grocery store. Hamper supplies are strictly by donation, therefore we do not always have name brands or all items.
How the process works
Volunteers take your call, prepare your hamper and greet you when you come in to pick up your hamper. We are unable to deliver hampers so clients must come in to pick up their own hampers.
If this is your first time calling the Strathcona Food Bank you will be asked to provide the following information:
- who lives in your home,
- an indication of monthly housing cost
- an indication of the household income covered by all individuals of working age living at the home.
When you do come to the food bank to obtain your food hamper, you must present the following:
- picture ID,
- Health Card numbers for all in your home,
- a recent piece of mail (for example, a bill, letter, medical services card from Alberta Works (Social Assistance?))
- You may apply once every 30 days for a full hamper. You may come in once a week for bread and baking. You must call on the day you want the hamper, for pick up that day. Please call between 9 and 10 am. On extra busy days we may have to book your hamper pick up for the following business day.
When asking for food assistance
If you or anyone in your household has any type of dietary restrictions or food allergies, please let us know so we can ensure that food items placed in your hamper are safe for you and your family members. If you have infants in the family let us know so that we can provide diapers, formula and baby-appropriate foods. Do you have pets? Do you have a small freezer? Again, please let us know so we can design the hamper to best meet your needs.
Please note that if a hamper is ordered but not picked up and a client does not call to explain why they will not be picking it up — the client will not be eligible for food assistance for 3 months.