Most Needed Items:
No-sugar-added canned fruit and fruit snack cups
No-sugar-added fruit juice, both 1 litre and juice boxes
Canned mixed vegetables
Low sodium broth, 1 litre tetra
Personal hygiene items including feminine hygiene, bar soap and shampoo
- Dry Dog and Cat Food (we are struggling to meet the demand for pet food so we would really appreciate it if donors would be willing to donate to support furry companions). Pookey’s Pet Food and Supplies (#107 – 101 Granada Blvd.) has installed a donation bin in their store to help in this initiative. Thank you to the folks at Pookey’s!
Your continued support of the Food Bank is much appreciated.
Perishable items require special handling in accordance with Alberta Health & Safety guidelines but special arrangements can be made by calling the Strathcona Food Bank at 780-449-6413.
The best way to donate perishable items is to make a monetary donation where the Food Bank can purchase as needed.
Perishable items which must be in good condition (we have coolers and freezers) including:
- bread and baking (from retail outlet)
- homegrown produce
- fresh meat that has been government inspected
- eggs that have been government inspected
- dairy products
Unfortunately, we cannot accept home canning or preserves.
The Future Is Changing and We Need To Embrace It
Often we are asked by donors if it is better to give food or cash. In the past we have willingly accepted whatever donors have been comfortable to give. Over the last few years we have tried to be more specific in terms of the food and non-perishable items we were most in need of by posting a list of The Most Needed Items on a monthly basis. And true to the very caring nature of our many and generous donors the community has willingly responded in kind.
While we truly love your donations in any form you are comfortable giving, financial donations make a tremendous difference to our ability to purchase more specifically what we need when we most need it. We strive to provide a balanced diet, where possible, which means purchasing perishable items as well as items not frequently donated to achieve this goal. Included in these items are fresh dairy, fresh produce and fresh meat.
As we begin to move in this direction we hope our current donors and new donors will adapt and adopt the course we have chosen. Stay tuned as we continue to improve the ways we try to provide the type of food we hope best serves those in need. Your continued interest in and support for the Food Bank is very much appreciated.
Recently the Strathcona Food Bank has been approached by several groups interested in hosting food drives to help stock our shelves and ensure our continued operation. We are truly overwhelmed by the level of interest in efforts of this nature by so many! In order to make the best use of people’s time we ask that anyone interested in hosting a food drive contact the Strathcona Food Bank Public Relations volunteer at: email@example.com.
Unfortunately, due to COVID we are not able to host outside volunteer groups in the Food Bank at this time. Thank you everyone who has shown an interest in helping us in this way.
- In-person at our location at 255 Kaska Road, Sherwood Park, AB T8A 4E8 from 9am to noon Monday to Friday
- By mail
- e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org (if you have any concerns, please send an email to the above address and our Treasurer will assist you)
We will accept any of the following items:
- food (packaged or canned goods)
- pet food (dogs or cats)
- formula, baby food, diapers (size 4, 5, and 6 only)
- feminine hygiene products, Depends
- toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, etc.)
- dish soap, laundry detergent
- school supplies
Items we will accept from the public: large glass containers and medicine/vitamin containers with a screw top. Items not accepted: clam shells, detergent bottles, foil trays, perfume bottles, prescription bottles, used bread bags, coffee cans. Due to COVID 19 we have decided to purchase single use plastic containers. Thank you for your understanding.
Currently the Strathcona Food Bank is in need of large glass jars, large plastic containers (650 ml or larger) and egg cartons.
If you have a large food donation to make we can make arrangements to pick it up. Please call the office (780-449-6413) to arrange for drivers to come to your location. Donations can also be made during food drives that take place periodically in Sherwood Park or in food bins at the following locations:
- Fire Hall #1 (Sherwood Drive)
- Information and Volunteer Centre (IVC)
- Save-on Foods (Wye, Baseline and Summerwood stores)
- Sobeys (Wye and Baseline stores)
We appreciate your donations!