The Strathcona Food Bank is a charitable organization totally operated by volunteers. We rely on your donations to continue to provide food assistance to those in need in Sherwood Park and rural Strathcona County.
You can donate in-person at our location at 255 Kaska Road, Sherwood Park, AB T8A 4E8 and by mail.
We can now accept donations through E-transfer. A donor may send a donation via E-transfer to: email@example.com Please pose a security question that requires “milk” to be the answer.
You can also donate online by going to the Canada Helps website (https://canadahelps.org) and making an online financial contribution to the Strathcona Food Bank.
Donate Food and other household items
We will accept any of the following items,
Non-perishable items including:
- food (packaged and canned goods),
- pet food (for dogs or cats),
- formula, baby food, diapers,
- sanitary supplies, Depends,
- school supplies
Perishable items which must be in good condition (we have coolers and freezers) including:
- bread and baking,
- home grown produce,
- fresh meat that has been government inspected
- diary products
Unfortunately we cannot accept home canning or preserves
Food items can be delivered to the Strathcona Food Bank at 255 Kaska Road, Sherwood Park during our operating hours, Monday to Friday between 9:00 am and noon. If you have a large food donation to make we can make arrangements to pick it up. Please call the office (780-449-6413) to arrange for drivers to come to your location. Donations can also be made during food drives that take place periodically in Sherwood Park or in food bins at the following locations:
- Fire Hall #1 (Sherwood Drive)
- Information and Volunteer Centre (IVC)
- Save-on Foods
Strathcona Food Bank Wish List
Listed below are specific food and personal items that are most frequently needed at the food bank. If you are thinking of making a donation please review the list and consider providing any of the items identified.
Breakfasts Desserts Side Dishes
Hot cereals Pie fillings Side Kicks
Pancake mix Pudding powder Rice packages
Pancake syrup Individual fruit cups Instant potatoes
Jams Cake mixes Hamburger & Tuna Helpers
Jellies Jello powder
Peanut butter (500 mg & 1 kg)
Beans Meat Soup
Kidney Salmon Mushroom
Pork and beans Tuna Tomato
Canned vegetables Ham Chicken
Peas Stew Vegetable
Green Beans Chili Chunky
Variety Variety Broth
Pasta Toiletries Staples
Tomato paste Deodorant Sugar
Tomato sauce Shampoo Quick oatmeal
Conditioner Juices – 1 litre
Body wash Dish soap
Size 5 and 6 diapers
The top 10 most needed items for November are:
- canned meat – tuna/salmon/variety
- kidney beans
- peanut butter
- canned tomatoes
- tomato sauce/paste
- canned pasta
- canned vegetables, especially beans
- canned stew/chili
- Kraft Dinner
- personal hygiene items – razors, deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo
Your donation is greatly appreciated.
The Strathcona Food Bank is totally operated by volunteers. We engage volunteers with various tasks including:
- Drivers/Packers who pack, collect and deliver donations from grocery stores and businesses early each weekday morning to the food bank. They also collect donations from schools, churches and businesses during food drives.
- In-house Volunteers carry our various tasks including sorting incoming donations each morning, stocking shelves with sorted donations, repackaging larger sized donations into smaller packages, filling hamper requests and taking client applications for food assistance over the telephone.
If you are interested in providing some of your time to assist as either a driver/packer or in-house volunteer please come into the food bank office and fill out an application. Drivers are subject to a driver abstract check that the Strathcona Food Bank would do. The food bank operates a 14 foot cube van so driver applicants would have to be properly licensed to operate this type of vehicle. Driver/packer applicants would train with regular drivers and packers.
For in-house volunteers, training would occur over 3 mornings once a week after which a regular shift would be scheduled. We ask that in-house volunteers commit to a minimum of 3 to 6 months on the same day each week.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and not a current client.
Thank you for giving some of your valuable time to assist those in need!